Just like every person is different, health problems are also different in every person. Similarly, there are different health problems between women and men. Some health conditions are common in both men and women. Some challenges of health for women are unique and pertain to them only. These unique health conditions of women include conditions related to pregnancy, menopause, and female organs. If these health issues for women are diagnosed on time, they can be easily treated or controlled. Therefore, it is advised to get timely screening for breast cancer, cervical cancer, bone density, etc. Detecting these problems at an early stage is essential for a healthy and long life.
What are Common Health Issues for Women?
Out of all the challenges of health for women, the most common problem nowadays is obesity and heart issues. In the past, men were more susceptible to heart-related issues. But, with changing lifestyles, women too are facing these problems. Although the problem of a heart attack in women is more serious in men or women who show more symptoms of depression and anxiety than men, etc. Know about major health issues for women along with their diagnosis and treatment.
Anyhow, we will start with some serious challenges of health for women which can be life-threatening if not diagnosed earlier. Breast cancer is one of them.
Breast Cancer – Most common challenge of health for women
Breast cancer is cancer that forms in the cells of the woman’s breast. It is one of the common health issues for women. If this cancer is diagnosed at an early stage, then its successful treatment is possible.
If you know about the symptoms of breast cancer, then you can identify it yourself. Following are the major symptoms of breast cancer:
- Breast Lump
- Change in size, Shape of Breast
- Changes to the skin of Breast
- Skin Peeling around the Nipple or Breast
- Redness in skin over the breast
Causes and Risk Factors
The exact cause of breast cancer is not known, but some things can increase the problem, such as:
- Genetic Factor
- Health History
- Dense Breast
- Having a history of cancer
Treatment of breast cancer depends on its type, stage, size, and grade. There are many options available for the treatment of breast cancer, such as:
- Removal of breast cancer (Lumpectomy)
- Removing a limited number of lymph nodes (Sentinel Node Biopsy)
- Removal of multiple lymph nodes (Axillary Lymph Node Dissection).
- Removing both Breasts
This cancer is found in the cells of the cervix. This problem is also considered serious in Health Issues for women. The cervix is the lower part of the uterus, which is attached to the vagina. Know what are the symptoms in it:
Cervical cancer does not show any symptoms in the early stages. But the symptoms of this cancer in the advanced stage are as follows:
- Vaginal bleeding after sex
- Pain in pelvic during orgasm
Causes and Risk Factors
Cervical cancer begins when the healthy cells of the cervix start to change. This change occurs in the DNA of the cells. Due to this change, the growth of cells occurs in an uncontrolled manner. These abnormal cells form a tumor. This tumor can cause cancer.
To treat cervical cancer, your doctor first determines whether you need one treatment or whether more than one treatment will be used. Its treatment options are as follows.
- Surgery: Surgery is done to remove the tumor and some healthy tissue around it. The following procedures are used in surgery:
- Conization: This procedure is used to remove all abnormal tissue.
- Leap (LEEP): In this, electric current is passed through a thin wire hook and this hook removes the affected tissue.
- Hysterectomy: This is a procedure to remove the uterus and cervix. It can be either normal or radical.
- Bilateral Salpingo-Oophorectomy: If necessary, both fallopian tubes and both ovaries are removed through this surgery.
- Radical Trachelectomy: This is a surgical procedure in which the cervix is removed but the uterus is not removed.
- Exenteration: This is the process of removing the uterus, vagina, lower colon, rectum, or bladder. If cervical cancer has spread to these organs after radiation therapy, they are removed.
Ovarian cancer is the 7th most common cause of death among women worldwide. It is a highly aggressive cancer with a high mortality rate. In most cases, cancer remains silent or goes unnoticed for a long time. It can occur in different parts of the ovary without any major symptoms, such as abdominal bloating, dyspepsia, and sometimes urinary complaints. Many other problems also have similar symptoms. Therefore, it becomes challenging to recognize ovarian cancer at an initial stage. Still, the only efficient way to overcome ovarian cancer is through quick analysis and suitable intervention. This cancer that starts from the ovary is called ovarian cancer. There are two ovaries in the female body, in which estrogen and progesterone hormones are also made along with the egg.
It is very important to recognize the symptoms of women’s health issues so that you can diagnose them yourself. Immediately after identifying the symptoms consult a doctor. These symptoms are as follows:
- Change in Appetite
- Weight Loss
- Constipation or Stomach Related Problems
- Problems in Pelvic Area
- Urge to Pass Urine
Causes and Risk Factors
The specific cause of ovarian cancer is not identified. But, certain conditions can increase its risk. These situations are as follows:
- Inherited Gene Mutation
- Estrogen Hormone Replacement Therapy
- Family History
There are many methods adopted for the treatment of ovarian cancer. These treatments are done keeping in mind the severity, stage, type, etc. of cancer. Some of these are as follows:
- Surgery: The type of cancer and how far it has spread is taken into consideration before performing the surgery. Surgical methods include hysterectomy, removal of one or both ovaries, or removal of only the affected lymph nodes.
- Chemotherapy: In chemotherapy, drugs are used to remove cancer cells.
- Targeted Therapy: In this method only the affected cells are removed.
- Radiation Therapy: In this therapy, X-rays are used to remove cancer cells.
- Immunotherapy: In this method immunity is used to fight against cancer.
Part of the Diet for Weight Loss Editorial Team 2021